AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of the Post Graduate Diploma Course in Auditory Verbal Therapy is to train and equip professionals in the fields of Speech & Hearing and Special Education with knowledge and skills to practice auditory verbal therapy with young children with deafness and who are hard of hearing as a part of the early intervention program. The course further aims to facilitate professionals in setting up of early intervention centers staffed by therapists who have the requisite skills to work with deaf and hard of hearing children.
The objectives of this program are to
- a) Impart knowledge in modern technology and its significance in the practice of
educating children with hearing impairment
- b) Identify the principles and practices of auditory verbal therapy and related services
- c) Develop skills and competencies for practicing auditory verbal therapy as a part of
the early intervention services for young children with hearing impairment,
- d) Promote speech-language development and education of young hearing impaired children and
- e) Promote parent – teacher empowerment
- f) Develop skills and competencies in students for practicing AVT as a part of early
intervention for young hearing impaired children, and
- g) To teach the need and significance of practice of AVT in India
GENERAL FRAME WORK OF THE PROGRAM
The program is organized in such a manner that the content on the disabilities is spirally integrated
in all courses as per requirement to prepare a cadre of special educators who develop
competencies to meet the educational needs of children with different developmental disabilities.
It comprises of theory, practice teaching and practical papers.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
The duration of the course is one academic year (2 semesters)
Any candidate with a graduate degree in Audiology /Speech-Language Pathology/Speech and Hearing, or Special Education (HI), or equivalent degree from any other University and who is registered with the Rehabilitation Council of India will be eligible to seek admission for the course. Foreign nationals should produce evidence of professional registration in their home country. 50% marks in the qualifying examination. Relaxation for reserved groups as per University rules
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTIONS
The medium of instruction shall be English
Considering infrastructural facilities needed and the dearth of certified AV therapists in
India, a maximum of 10 candidates may be admitted for the course.