NOMENCLATURE OF THE PROGRAM
Diploma in Education-Special Education (Hearing Impairment) i.e. D.Ed.Spl.Ed.(HI)
OBJECTIVES OF THE B.ASLP PROGRAM
The Program of Diploma in Special Education (Hearing & Speech disabilities) is developed
with following objectives:
• To develop an understanding of varying disabilities and their implications.
• To have knowledge of typical growth and development of learners and realize the
psychological aspects influencing learning and education.
• To be aware of the underlying philosophies, evolutionary practices and the policy
provisions facilitating education of children with disabilities.
• To undertake assessments or use assessment outcomes for planning educational and
other related interventions.
• To undertake need based curricular adaptations and strategies.
• To apply various pedagogical approaches for teaching at elementary level.
• To develop an understanding about the concept, construct and facilitators of inclusive
• To realize the importance and role of family and community as a catalyst in the
education of children with disabilities.
SCOPE OF THE PROGRAM
- The D.Ed. Special Education (Hearing Impairment) program will especially help the student
trainees develop following competencies:
Knowledge based competencies:
• Child growth, development and deviations.
• Various disabilities and their associated conditions.
• Educational needs of children with disabilities.
• Differential needs of learners with Hearing and Speech disabilities.
• Legislative provisions & policy guidelines for education and other rehabilitations
Skills based competencies:
• Assessment and identification of learners with Hearing and Speech disabilities using
• Interventional strategies of addressing learning styles and preferences.
• Curricular strategies of pedagogical approaches, adaptations and assessments.
• Methods and techniques of teaching of various school subjects in varying settings of
special and inclusive schools and home learning programs.
Values or Behaviour based competencies:
• Promoting school culture and ethos for inclusive educational practices
• Nurturing equity and quality in educational practices
• Fostering the belief that every child matters, matters equally and can learn.
• Empowering families for equal partnership and advocacy of children
• Involvement of community for resource mobilization and support
It is envisaged that such a program would widen the horizon for teaching in special schools,
regular inclusive schools at elementary level, work in early intervention and preschool set up or
undertake home based teaching of children with disabilities in general and those with hearing and
speech disabilities in particular. In all such set ups, the successfully passed trainee can practice
both online and in blended teaching with confidence.
GENERAL FRAME WORK OF THE PROGRAM
The program is organized in such a manner that the content on the disabilities is spirally integrated
in all courses as per requirement to prepare a cadre of special educators who develop
competencies to meet the educational needs of children with different developmental disabilities.
It comprises of theory, practice teaching and practical papers.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
- The duration of the program will be two years (four semesters). Each semester will have at
least 225 hours of theory papers (75 hours /paper) and 375 hours of practicals. On completion
of four semesters, the total theory hours would be 900 hours and 1500 hours would be
practicals. Details are given in a Table on course structure at 16.0.
Students who have passed 10+2 or equivalent with 50% of marks in any stream are eligible for
MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTIONS
The medium of instruction will be English / Hindi / Regional language.
The transactional methodology of the program includes lectures, demonstration, project work,
and discussions, visits to different schools / rehabilitation projects, practice teaching,
participation in community meetings, medical camps and community development